Need advice for my first tri

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Need advice for my first tri

Postby amy_rogalsky » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm participating in the Spring Fever Tri in Claremore Sunday......any advice is appreciatied...especially what to expect in transition.....? And what to wear?
"Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up. "
— Dean Karnazes
amy_rogalsky

Postby Brad S » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm still somewhat of a novice, but can give you a few points:

* Set your clock. Then set another clock that is on another power supply. Of the few races I've done, my poorest performances and mental outlooks were a result of not giving myself enough time pre-race.

* Make a packing list the night before. Check it 3x. Include an extra pair of goggles if you have them.

* Your start time is at the back end of the race which is positive because you won't have a hard time finding your bike. Therefore, transition should be easy. Don't get overzealous mounting the bike unless you've actually practiced. On that note, if you haven't practiced transitions, start now. It's a process that should occur without thinking:

T1
1. Glasses - In your helmet w/ the arms open so you can slide them right on.
2. Helmet (strap it on and don't take it off til you re-rack your bike)
3. Bike (assuming your shoes are already attached to the bike and you've practiced pedaling on top of the shoes and sliding them on while moving). If you haven't practiced slipping your shoes on, carry them to the bike mount line and put them on there. Unless, of course, you are using running shoes...in which case, put em on.
4. RUN with your bike.

T2
1. Rack bike by the seat.
2. Take off Helmet (save yourself from having a photo taken of you running out of transition in a bike helmet)
3. Shoe
4. Shoe
5. Run! carrying your hat if you need one. You can put it on while running.

If you

* On the bike, it looks like the road is open which surprised me a bit considering this is a 400+ person race. I guess all I can say is stay as far to the right as possible and check 3x before turning around at the 1/2 point.

* Run...2 miles isn't far. You can do anything for two miles. Finish with nothing in the tank.

* Eat way more in snacks than you actually burn in the race. That's my strategy.

* Regarding what you should wear, if you do not have a one or two piece suit, I would advise it. 1/2 totally depends on who you speak with. I prefer a 1 piece as my love handles are less likely to work their way out. The downside, it really makes the pre and post race bathroom trips a pain. I'm sure there is some additional info that the ladies can provide that is more...lady specific.

* Chat it up with people in transition. This is my ~8th multi-sport race and this weekend's is the first my wife/kids will attend. I'm a bit of a loner on race day and it makes for a VERY long wait til race time. Even if you know the answer to the question, ask a question to someone racked next to you. If nothing else, you will be able to share some camaraderie with that person after the race.

* Definitely don't sweat your time or placing. That might sound contradictory to what I said above, but it will be a fun education and all you can do is what you can do.

Finally: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/editor ... 0021.shtml
Brad S
Sprinter

Postby nutrigirl08 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Amy I'm sure you are going to do great!!! Spring Fever was my first too!!!

Breathe! Just keep breathing...... keep it simple.

I always make a checklist out a few days prior and keep going over it just to make sure. I pack my gear up the night before then double check it prior to leaving.

Go over the race in your head. I try to visualize, it helps. When you get the Saturday (assuming you are going up the day before) walk/drive the bike and run course. I try to on all my races just to help visualize.

Make sure your bike is in a low gear prior to leaving it in transition. If I remember right there is a hill right at the start of the bike course (I know they have changed the run course but I don't know about the bike course)

When you set up your transition: I always take a bright colored towel with me to lay everything out on, helps me always have something to look for when I come out of the water. I set up in front my bike gear up towards the front of my towel and then in the back my running gear . I tape my Gu to the bike (if using) and sometimes have one on my towel partially torn so I'm ready to go. Being a sprint you might not need them. Also see where your rack is in proximity to bike out/in and run out. I even will dry run this, meaning I will pretend I'm coming in from swimming get my bike then run to bike out (counting how many racks) and then come in from the bike and proceed to the rack. It helps lesson the confusion when coming out of the water and coming back in on the bike.

I agree with setting up a mini transition at home and doing some dry runs, just to know what to expect a little. I've changed how I do transition now than I did it back then. I keep my transition area really simple. I haven't tried the shoes on the ole' bike and then sliding into them after mounting the bike. I guess I like my shoes on prior to leaving transition. I also wear my number on my belt even on the bike. One less thing I put on going into the run. As far as the run, if you don't have to change shoes it will be fast for you. Rack your bike, take your helmet off, grab water if you need it and run out. Being a sprint distance you should be okay with water and refueling. Drink some water while you are on your bike. If I remember right you are a runner so 2 miles should be easy for you.

Try a quick brick workout if you need to just to know how it feels.

Don't forget to put your helmet on prior to unracking your bike! And don't forget to take your helmet off when you come back in once you rack your bike!

As far as clothing I used to were a tri-suit (one piece) but last year I ran with my tri shorts and top. Really it is whatever you are comfortable with. Bring extra clothing just in case the weather turns a little cooler (I don't think this is the case). I'm one to be over prepared now (if there is such a thing). You can always leave stuff in the car if you get there and decide you don't need it.

Remember what I said about swim start. If you are starting later in the line up done forget you might need to refuel depending on when you ate your pre-race meal. I had to wait almost an hour and a half to start. I was starving by the time I got out of the water!

Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!! Make the most out of it!!! Don't sweat the small stuff.

And remember when you cross that finish line YOU WILL BE A TRIATHLETE!!!!

Good luck girl! :D
Christy
“Getting comfortable with the uncomfortable"
nutrigirl08
Olympian

First Tri

Postby linda_j_weber@ssmhc.com » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Me and a friend are going to do this race also. If you want to meet up with us, please let me know. It is her first and my second sprint triathlon.
We are going down Saturday pm. CALL if you want. The more the merrier!!!!Linda (921-0516) and Rhonda.
Linda Weber
linda_j_weber@ssmhc.com

Postby tdjme » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:17 pm

I'll give you a tip you might not have expected..... go slow, and enjoy the ride. Why? If you are like the rest of us, after your first tri you will be eager to do another. If your first one is slow, you will have little difficulty beating your time on your next race! Most of us that aren't super-duper world-class just like to race against ourselves, and try to set new personal records. You have plenty of time to learn the intricacies of transition etc. So relax and enjoy, and plan for improvement your NEXT race!
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Thanks!

Postby amy_rogalsky » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I had a good first experience and am proud to now be an official triathlete! :)
"Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up. "
— Dean Karnazes
amy_rogalsky

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD