Spodylilosis anyone?

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Spodylilosis anyone?

Postby drob » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:59 am

I just found out I have a fractured L5 vertebrae in my lower back. Dr. says it may have been that way for years. I strained it the other day doing a crazy swim drill with my head completely out of the water. The next morning my back was tight. I was late for a meeting at work so I jogged a few hundred yards in from the parking lot and I guess that was too much (I never run/jog). After the jog and a fast walk, a stab of pain shot into my lower back. Dr. took X-rays on Friday and on Monday showed me the fracture. Geez. He kinda acted like it was not a huge deal. No surgery or anything like that. Apparently it is fairly stable and will stay that way if I continue to strengthen my core. He says I can continue to ride and probably swim, especially if I will give it a break for a while and let the aggravation die down.

Has anyone else experienced this or know someone else that has? I am not completely confident about being told my L5 is fractured but not to worry. On the other hand, I almost wish I did not know about it at all. If this is what old age is like, I am not looking forward to it at all.

Thanks for any replies.

David R.
D. Robinson
OKC
drob
Sprinter

Postby mike » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:51 am

I tell people i don't mind getting old but really dislike falling apart while getting there
Your fx at l-5 is not dangerous just mainly aggrevating
your right strengthen core and get a good back exercise program and avoid activities
that aggrevate Thats not to say with time and the strenghening you may be able to do pretty much what you want
mike
Iron Athlete

Postby jackrabbit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:40 pm

I have a friend with this. He has I think three or four of his lumbar vertebra fractured. His are called Scotty dog fractures because on x-ray his vertebra look like Scotty dogs. He makes sure to not carry any extra weight in his midsection and keep a strong core and he has no problems at all. Best wishes.
I've failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.

Jessica Davis
jackrabbit
Olympian

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD