Route 66 before Kansas Ironman?

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Route 66 before Kansas Ironman?

Postby tdjme » Wed May 04, 2011 3:00 am

Advice please. I'm doing the Kansas Ironman June 12. What's your opinion about me doing the Rt 66 Oly the week before? I am thinking I shouldn't do more than the Sprint, since that is the beginning of taper week. All comments welcomed and appreciated!
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby tcone » Wed May 04, 2011 12:58 pm

I am doing the sprint and then Kansas. If you race the oly hard, I think that it would take too long to recover and then have a PR type 70.3 or it least it would for me!
tcone
Olympian

Postby buzz » Wed May 04, 2011 1:00 pm

My 2 cents. Either is doable. An Oly should require only about 6 days for a recovery (this is based on my personal formula), and should fit into a taper formula, too. Might target 66 as a B event, if IM-KS is an A event for you.
2012.... it may be ugly, but at least I'll be racing :-)
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby redtex » Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Also doing Kansas. Stick to your original written long term goal (whatever that may be).. . Doubt many can do an B/C race when they see an opportunity to "overtake" someone, then you mess up 'over shoot' and it becomes an A race (oh crap an injury) . . You could use the sprint as an interval workout and practice transition etc.
But then your mind must make that decision to let people go and stick to the plan..
Kansas can be tough. You'll have some strong talent (KS) there to push you for a PR and can only do it IF you have properly and timely rested.

I personally think the Rt 66 is 'great', especially if Buzz is caught smoking on the ski do.
redtex

Postby utexpoke » Thu May 05, 2011 2:58 am

I'm doing Kansas as well. I'm leaning towards doing the sprint as a speed workout and doing the Aquabike on Sunday as a final OWS practice.
utexpoke

Postby mike » Thu May 05, 2011 4:54 am

I agree with tcone and redtex unless you have the self control to to race route 66 as a c race
your recovery time will be too short even for a young wippersnapper if your intention is
to do well at Kansas
mike
Iron Athlete

Postby lee » Thu May 05, 2011 2:26 pm

depends on how much you've been training...

If you're used to doing 60+ mile rides and 12+ mile runs, and recovering well from them, then you could probably do the oly, and only do light recovery workouts the rest of the week and be in great shape for Kansas.

Otherwise, you might stick to either the aquabike or sprint.
lee
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby tdjme » Thu May 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Terrific input, which I really appreciate. I'm pretty sure now that I will do the Sprint and treat it as a training day with some intervals.
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby buzz » Thu May 05, 2011 9:03 pm

I really like that Sprint, then Aquabike idea...especially if you are needing a little extra OW swim practice.
2012.... it may be ugly, but at least I'll be racing :-)
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby ouwelsh » Thu May 05, 2011 11:20 pm

I am doing Kansas as well. I chose to do the sprint on Route 66 as I think the OLY will take to much out of me. But I want to support Buzz and Tri OKC so the sprint it is. I have had people tell me I risk injury but in my humble opinion I risk injury everytime I train.
2012 Race Schedule

70.3 Oceanside, IMCdA, Redman
ouwelsh
Sprinter

Postby trav313 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:23 pm

My thoughts are just to have fun and do whatever you want to do. If you're not getting paid at these races or if you're not trying to use one of them to qualify for another event, then I think you should just do whatever you want. I wouldn't think I would have any problem recovering from a 100% oly effort in a week. Even if you aren't 100%, the time difference will probably not be huge. I've raced on Saturday and Sunday of the same weekend several times and have always raced very well on that second day. It would be hard for me to go into a race thinking of it as a "C" race and not put everything I have out there. That is just how I feel about it. Still, you're racing something that weekend before regardless and thats pretty awesome! I will say, go out there and kill it!
trav313
Sprinter

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD