Feedback

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Feedback

Postby kensail » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:32 am

This is a great race. It was also my first Oly distance race.

Transition setup was smooth and easy, the course was well marked.

There was good support on the run for drinks. I knew exactly what and where the course was. No problems.

I know buzz and everyone wants honest feedback on "How things went." not just the big things, but also the little stuff. These are not complaints. Seriously, If everything were to run next year exactly as it ran this year I'd sign up no problem. Things did run smoothly.

Launching both the men and the women at the same time made the swim more bump and rub than I wanted. I spent 30 min in the water and was mixing it up for most of the time. Even after the beach run, which was less onerous than I had imagined, I still was banging bodies. Maybe I'm just terrible at swimming a straight line, but launching smaller waves might really help.

Road was bumpy on the bike, this is no different from last year or the year before that, but yeah it's thump a thump a thumpa down Rt66 with some bigger thumpas along the way. *shrug* what can be done? not much

Run course wow it was hot. Pray for clouds? I did overheat badly on the run and was a bit worried that I might need help, between aid stations I didn't see any spotters. Positioning some masochistic volunteers ( can there ever be enough of these rare people?) on the run course to keep an eye on everyone might be helpful, or an option to swim the neck of the last turn instead of running around the curve. (I thought seriously about this in my delirium) might save someone one day (me?).

Overall awesome organization, good support, food, drink the works. Thank you all!

Apparently I did not get this propely communicated. The run aid station/tables were supposed to be at the 1 mile marker doubling your shots at water/fluid, and also bottled water station at the turnaround. My apologies....buzz
kensail

Postby nutrigirl08 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:34 pm

I conquer that it was an awesome race both on Saturday and Sunday! Volunteers, the spectators and athletes all had great enthusiasm. Everyone seemed to be encouraging everyone out on the run. I guess we were all suffering!

The run was super hot! I know I even asked several people if they were okay because they looked like they were suffering. I even offered someone my water because he looked like he was cramping. So I definitely thinking some more volunteers out there or at least another water stop between the two.

So that would be my only suggestion would be more water more often on the run course! But kuddos for those gals out at the turn around that stuck out there in the heat!!! Actually kuddos to all the volunteers!!!

The swim is the swim. I knew it would be a body bumper time. But for the most part it was okay. I didn't even get ran over this time! Hmmm, may be the training is paying off!!!

Definitely be out there next year again for both!!! :D

Change in swim, 3 reasons: 1. Easier to manage and not stretch water rescue of 1000y. 2. They are working on the dam wall with large rock right by the spillway. 3. IMO, looped courses are more spectator friendly. Tell me you didn't get a little charge when you run or bike by the crowd.
Some people say looped courses are boring.......but, give me a 2 mile course and 200 laps.....and we'll pull in 200,000 rednecks to watch it..... NASCAR. buzz :wink:
Christy
“Getting comfortable with the uncomfortable"
nutrigirl08
Olympian

Postby ToddM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:01 pm

This was my first time to do the Route 66 and my first time to attempt two races in one weekend. Buzz, you, your staff, & the volunteers did an excellent job on both days! I loved the venue and the fact that every thing was really close. The only thing I would suggest is another midway water stop on the Oly run, and that's just being picky. Great location, great facilities, the shirt is my favorite to date, and transition was set up in a great location. I do have a new respect for the people who can pull off two races in one weekend. Not as easy as one would think! I did have a PB on the Oly, even with the combine block on the bike coming back into transistion. What was that guy thinking!

GREAT EVENT!!! Will be back next year.

Combine driver was penalized 2 minutes for blocking. buzz
ToddM

Awesome event

Postby gadugi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Kudos to the organizers and volunteers for putting on an excellent weekend (I did the sprint). I also commend the City of El Reno for the lake improvements (didn't have to worry about thorns this year!) and it really raises the profile of the lake as a multisport venue.

My first criteria in rating a race is safety and I felt safe throughout the course. I thought the entire course was well-marked, race officials were clear in their instructions, and the support was great. I wouldn't change a thing.

Although not as important, the shirt was great and I love the way the Tri-OKC community hosts the finish line and after race refreshments.

We are going to move that slip n slide over to the finish line and make you dive across it....buzz :wink:
gadugi
Sprinter

Postby amy_rogalsky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:12 pm

This was my first OWS and my 2nd sprint.....I think I might be hooked now! :) I want to thank my wonderful husband Joel for being so supportive-and encouraging me to "tri" :)

Amy Rogalsky

Sorry, no TV cameras for you to capture the moment (Congrats on your Marathon Marriage...I almost cried) ...buzz
"Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up. "
— Dean Karnazes
amy_rogalsky

Postby oceanseve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Absolutely awesome event! Extremely well marked! My first Oly and my first OWS sprint. Had a great time will definately do again next year!
Great volunteers! Great food! Wonderful event!

Nit Picking Honesty:
I agree with kensail. I would have rather it been men and women seperate. I didn't stop running into people in the swim till the turn around and that's only because I opted (hahaha, well, opted after I figured out that's why I wasn't running into anyone) to swim well off from the bouys.

Is there any chance the cops could be paid to shut down that old stretch of 66? Some of those blue headed sunday morning drivers nearly hit people (including myself) sunday morning.

Didn't have any problems w/ lack of water on the sprint run, but Sunday was hard would love to see a water stop in between the two next year or maybe put that first one a half mile out from the finish so it could be hit four times instead of two.

Thanks again for a, no two, well three great events, the splash and dash was a good time too! Can't wait for the next sanctioned S&D!
oceanseve

Postby tcone » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Great job with all aspects of the race. I especially liked the new swim course for the sprint. Not having a turn bouy until the half-way point was awesome!
tcone
Olympian

Postby killie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:58 am

This was only my second Oklahoma race (Redman being my first), and it was terrific. The organization was top notch. Great job. I look forward to next year.
killie

Postby triserf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Awesome job, Buzz. This was my first OWS sprint. I've been looking forward to it for months. Was not disappointed. Although, after watching video (thanks to my lovely, supportive wife) of the swim start; next time I will be one of those running through the shallow water instead of swimming in the deep. :) Also, thanks for lining up the buoys with the water tower. It's a lot easier to sight than the orange buoy. :D
Finish what you start
David Dillingham
triserf

Postby tdjme » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:44 pm

I only did the sprint as I will be doing Ironman Kansas next week (wanted plenty of recovery time and didn't want to interfer with my taper). I just ran an easy race, but really enjoyed the Sprint, as well as the Aquathlon. The swim was somewhat of a contact sport, but that's just tri. Well done - I'll be there next year - and hopefully fresh from Alcatraz!
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby mobcal » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Anyone know when the Oly pictures will be posted? They got the sprint pics up really quickly, but the Oly's seem to be taking f o r e v e r.
mobcal

Postby Tanya » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:19 am

James has a full-time job (not related to photography), so I'm sure he's working on them in the evenings when he gets home from work. Should be up soon.
There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes in to view, passes by and disappears.
- Popular Science, 1891
Tanya
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby ouwelsh » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:13 am

Buzz you and your crew did a great job. Maybe an extra water stop would be a good idea when it heats up like this. I actually liked the bumping on the swim as I am doing Kansas this next weekend and know for sure there will be bumping so wanted to get used to it so I would not freak out. Thanks to all who volunteered and especially the Route 66 staff (Holly Buzz Jane et al) as they get no pay but donate a heck of a lot of time.
2012 Race Schedule

70.3 Oceanside, IMCdA, Redman
ouwelsh
Sprinter

Postby mobcal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:31 am

Tanya wrote:James has a full-time job (not related to photography), so I'm sure he's working on them in the evenings when he gets home from work. Should be up soon.

Thanks for the info. Patience has never been my strong suit. Maybe I should cut the guy some slack huh?

I got an email from James, hopefully, they'll be up tonight . 6/8/11 buzz
mobcal

Postby Tanya » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 pm

mobcal wrote:
Thanks for the info. Patience has never been my strong suit. Maybe I should cut the guy some slack huh?

I wasn't trying to sound like a smart-alec, just wanted you to know he doesn't do the photog full-time. Patience is not my strong suit, either. I've been hitting the "refresh" button about 10 times a day on his site, too. :wink:
There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes in to view, passes by and disappears.
- Popular Science, 1891
Tanya
Ultra Iron Athlete

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD