Kansas Ironman 70.3, June 12 2011

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Kansas Ironman 70.3, June 12 2011

Postby tdjme » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:55 pm

This was my second HIM (Redman was the first), and boy was it tough. The swim was very choppy - maybe from the 20mph winds that we fought much of the day, the bike course design had to have been influenced by Satan (those hills were incredible, especially the giant hill at mile 50... I was the one screaming as I climbed it in FIRST GEAR!!....), and while most of the run course was flat, that short but nasty steep hill that we had to run TWICE was not much fun.

On the positive side, I PR'd by completing 10 minutes faster than my Redman time (not hard to do, since I am slow), and the weather turned out to be wonderful. There forecast was 80% chance of Thunderstorms, but the net result was a slightly overcast day that cut the sun intensity and therefore the heat. While the humidity was around 80% or so, the temp was only in the 80's. All in all, a heck of a fun day.

It was also very nice to receive my finisher's medal from Chrissie Wellington - who one the race in the Women's Division while recovering from a broken rib! (Now that is a role model for you!)

I know several other TRIOKC'ers did the race. How did you like it?

Tim
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby Carin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 pm

I would agree with you on all counts, Tim. It was a fun race. The swim was scary and the hills placed adequately to challenge your mental stamina. I think they had great volunteers at all the aid stations, especially on the run when you need all the encouragement you can get.

I didn't know so many from OKC would be there. I high fived someone named Mike (?) from Edmond as he came down the final stretch to the finish line. I'd do Kansas again in a heartbeat.
Carin

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD