Swim Coach

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Swim Coach

Postby tdjme » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm swimming my brains out, but have plateaued and no longer getting faster. I'm relatively slow, too, around 1:40mins on 200, or around 40+ mins on a half-iron. I feel sure it is a technique thing, and that's hard to fix when you can't see yourself swimming. Can anyone recommend a swim coach that could review my form and steer me in the direction of improvement? I'm specifically looking for someone I can do a few sessions with individually as I've one of thoze crazy schedules that precludes regularly scheduled master's classes.
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby buzz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Unless my math is bad...200 yards in 1:40 I wouldn't be b*tchn. I'm sure you meant 100 yards @ 1:40.

Norman Y - David Gray I think is his name. John Brown at Lighthouse? Shugarts at OCCC. There's a master class I think in the early AM at UCO, too?

Or, anybody with a little common sense can pick up major flaws, if any, that you need to correct.

Actually, might try tracking down Trey Cone or Don Granier....3-4 years ago they were 1:40 on 100 yard swimmers.......both are much faster now!
2012.... it may be ugly, but at least I'll be racing :-)
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby RKM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:38 pm

I think Trey used to run a hundred yards in 1:40....over the years he has lowered that to 1:25
Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour. Peter Gibbons
RKM
Iron Athlete

Postby tdjme » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Yes of course - I meant 100 yards! Sorry, I'm so freaking busy these days I sometimes forget my name....

Thanks for the recommendations, I will start working on them.
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby triserf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:17 pm

David at the Y in Norman is excellent. He not only will correct any flaws, but will tell you how a "triathlete" should swim. It may take some time, but it will be time well spent.
Finish what you start
David Dillingham
triserf

Postby trigal » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:50 pm

I swim with Dave at the Y in Norman. Masters classes are Monday thru Thursday at 6:30. I went from a complete non-swimmer to 1:20/100 yds. Swam the full Redman last year in 1:06. Having a good coach makes a HUGE difference!!
"People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?" -- Lance Armstrong
trigal

Postby tdjme » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks for the tips. I've heard David is really good, and actually tried to reach David at the Norman Y, but yhey wouldn't give me his contact info and instead told me he is too busy with classes to take new private clients.
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby chirocowboy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Both myself and my daughter have used a coach at the Lighthouse this Summer. She's really helped us be much more efficient & faster. Shoot me a pm if you're interested in her name and contact into.

CC
chirocowboy

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD