Body v. Earth 2011

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Body v. Earth 2011

Postby triserf » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Is anyone planning on doing Body v. Earth tri at Ft. Sill on 9-10-2011? I probably will mainly because it is right out my back door. Has anyone done this in the past? Would you recommend it? I have ridden the bike course many times while training. Just wondering what the run course is like?
Finish what you start
David Dillingham
triserf

Postby RKM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:50 pm

It is a great race

Water is clearest I have swam here in the state

There are a few rough areas on the road during the bike

The run is all off-road, make sure you follow the signs

More than worth the price
Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour. Peter Gibbons
RKM
Iron Athlete

Postby Pascal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:41 pm

Yeah, I second that comment, it is a great race, but probably the toughest 4 mile trail run I've ever attempted!! Never walked so much in a sprint tri before. There is just nothing in the Edmond area to prepares you for that run, unless you go running up the north face of Lake Hefner damn repeatedly, and then some more... I did it last year and will go back but can't this year.
The trail is pretty wide with a bunch of loose rocks, so you gotta watch your footing in some places, especially when you're sprinting down that last hill when your quads are completely shot at that point! :shock:
A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step... Confucius
Pascal
Age Grouper

Postby Tanya » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:09 am

LOVE this race!! Have done it three times. The swim is awesome (totally clear water), the bike is good, but the run. OH MY! It's more like a trail hike than a run. It's the most challenging trail run I've EVER done. At one point going up the last hill, I'm always crawling up with my hands on the ground.
It's really the most fun I ever have at a tri, tho. It's fun and challenging, and when you finish you REALLY feel accomplished! Do it!!
There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes in to view, passes by and disappears.
- Popular Science, 1891
Tanya
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby buzz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:55 pm

For grins, I will probably go down and do it this year. I plan on GPS'n that trail run this year, I don't think it's 4 miles. Hard to beat for the $35.
2012.... it may be ugly, but at least I'll be racing :-)
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby arbucklemicah » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Will it be OK for a road bike in this tri, the photo on the website shows a mtn bike and another comment about some rough spots on the bike, let me know, thanks.
arbucklemicah

Postby triserf » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:22 pm

The bike course is all pavement; starts out with a long, slightly uphill grade for approx. 3-4 miles, then big downhill, some rough low water crossings, some more slight grade, then turn around and come back. The run, however............ :shock: oh, boy!
Finish what you start
David Dillingham
triserf

Postby triserf » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:25 pm

I ran part of the run course Thursday evening. It was also used for the Mountains of Mayhem. Tuesday they will lay out the real course. It is supposed to be marked with paint and flags. If anyone wants to pre-ride or pre-run before the event, let me know. I'll be glad to show the way as I live about 15-20 minutes away.
Finish what you start
David Dillingham
triserf

Postby buzz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:53 pm

What about lake conditions?? with lack of rain in the past....the lake tends to drop in level which can put the weeds in play.
2012.... it may be ugly, but at least I'll be racing :-)
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby triserf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:58 am

Lake looks low (like every other body of water in the state) but I have not swam it. Will try to swim before next Saturday.
Finish what you start
David Dillingham
triserf

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD