Compression Socks

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Compression Socks

Postby HJACK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Hey there!

I have been reading a few different research articles that are saying a multitude of different results from compression socks for enhancing running or not at all. Has anyone tried them before, what are your thoughts??
HJACK

Postby buzz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:03 pm

There was a string on this a couple of years back, but I can't seem to find it. A lot of people swear by em, but I've never worn em.
2012.... it may be ugly, but at least I'll be racing :-)
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby mike » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:57 pm

I've never used them but have discussed them with my coach and his thoughts
(he reads pretty much every article and research paper on subjects that would
affect his athletes good or bad) they may help recovery but nothing ealse.
I'm sure they feel great because my compression shorts feel great so I guess
that could affect a persons performance.
mike
Iron Athlete

Postby JA Pryse » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 am

All I'm saying is don't buy 'Miracle Socks' from the TV. ha. but seriously...don't.
JA Pryse

Postby pculley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:07 pm

I would agree that they are great for recovery. I've never used them while racing (they look silly to me). You don't have to spend a lot of money. I work at a pharmacy and order the cheapo compression stockings. They are not as durable, but still do the trick. I stand all day at my job and use them to keep from getting varicose veins. I've used them for recovery, too. They work just fine. Definitely would not race in them, though.
pculley
Age Grouper

Postby redtex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Holy moly. Another comp sock discussion. Ive used mine only after a hard run (recovery for 30-45:00 max) or long plane rides or getting scanned at the airport. Physically, they may make me feel better..... similar to a margarita. Mentally the same thing. I may feel better or maybe its that margarita. Hype and marketing are a great tool these days. So i fell into that ring of fire...I digress... Numerous studies about them no "real" evidence yet. But I will admit that they "appear" to help to some extent. Hey they have em in green and pink.
redtex

Postby gadugi » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:34 pm

I've never used them during a race, but I use them for recovery and they feel good. I bought some for $8 at Walgreens.
gadugi
Sprinter

Postby buzz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:35 pm

I guess I can turn back the clock to the days I used to wear panty hose in the late 70's. (a little trick learned from OSU's Terry Miller)
2012.... it may be ugly, but at least I'll be racing :-)
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD