Info on Escape from Alcatraz?

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Info on Escape from Alcatraz?

Postby tdjme » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:29 pm

June 20120 - in about 6 months - I do Escape from Alcatraz! I have a million questions, but for now I'd just like to find out who has done this race (I've seen a few names on the boards that seem to have done it) and find out your number one recommendation. At the moment, I am most worried about the bike course... it sounds both treacherous and tough.
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby glen woods » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:36 am

I escaped in 2010. It was the most fun race I ever did. The bike is tough. You need to be able to climb and be able to hand a bike on a technical descent. My email is gscwoods@sbcglobal.net if you want to ask any specific questions. I can give yo my phone number if you want to call me and talkk about it.
glen woods
Iron Athlete

Postby Bart » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:20 am

Do some trail running, get on the stair climber. The run is about 1/2 trail and stair climbing, the other half running. The bike not to bad but agree with Glen. Be sure for swim to have head cover, booties and wax ear plugs to keep cold water out of your ears. If you can, get there a couple days early and swim in the marina just at the end of Hyde Street in the bay. Gets you ready for the temp and taste of salt water. Go to race meetings and listen about the current in the bay because from the boat if you don't aim correctly you will not hit the exit ramp. The current will move you more than you think. But if you sight good the swim is the easiset part of the race. Like swimming across a slow moving river. For effort this rates somewhere between Olympic and half iron distance so train like your going to do a half and you should do great. You will love it. After the race treat yourself to Scomos on the wharf, one of the best Italian seafood restaurants anywhere. Have fun.
Bart A. Boren
232-5220
http://www.bartborenlaw.com
"A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step." JFK
Bart
Olympian

Postby tdjme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks Glen and Bart! Great advice - don't think I would have considered the wex ear plugs. I'd hate to run the whole race with an ear-ache.
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby glen woods » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Good advise on the swim Bart. I started swimming in lake hudson in March to get used to the cold water. By the time I went to San Francisco, 53 degrees did not seem bad!
glen woods
Iron Athlete

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD