newly interested

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

newly interested

Postby planejane » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:32 am

Hi
I have just become interested in preparing for a triathalon. Where Do I start? I am not a competitor, but would like to do one anyway. I can ride, and swim, but running is a challenge.
Thanks for your input and advice.
planejane

Re: newly interested

Postby OSUPeterson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Others may have different advice, but I would say start small and take it slow. In July of last year I could barely swim a lap and could not run for half a mile, at any pace.

I just started off setting up a mile or so course through my neighborhood and every few days I would say that I was going to run x amount of that course and walk less and less of it. Over time, coupled with swimming a couple times a week and getting on the bike a few times a week, I noticed that I was able to start running farther and farther.

Also, just go out and run, at any speed. I can talk from experience (over and over again) that you do not have the be the fastest person all the time. Trying to run over your limit will set you back more than it will help you.

Once you start getting to the point you are running several times a week and start running more than a few blocks, it would probably be best to look into running shoes. I had shin splints well before I started running and I was using a shoes not made for my foot. It made a huge difference in my comfort while running, and really allowed me to start increasing my distances and speed as well as just enjoying running.

There are also lots of apps for different smart phones you can use that will help you keep track of your runs (distance/time) such at Nike + run for Iphone and Strava running for iphone and Android. I know you don't have to use anything to track your distance or time, but I noticed it was a nice reward to look back at the week and see my improvements in running.
OSUPeterson

Postby tdjme » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Welcome to the world of Tri! Most of us aren't competitors... Why is running a challenge? If because you are inexperienced, then the first thing to do is get some running shoes that are best for you. Red Coyote or Elite Feet are great places to get fitted for proper running shoes. Then just start running. Next year you can worry about being fast. I can recommend checking out the OKC Running Club a/k/a LandRunners. They do group runs often, for all capability levels.

The other recommendation is to go ahead and register for an upcoming race, one that is no longer than a Sprint. If you are in reasonable condition, you will finish just fine. You just might be slow. So what. At least you 'll get experience, and see how much fun this is!

Feel free to contact me anytime if I can help.
... not fast but having a lot of fun!..
tdjme
Age Grouper

Postby buzz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Watch FB and website for upcoming group rides, swims, clinics. Picking other's brains is a good start. Come out to March in Okarche and watch a duathlon. It will give you good insight to the world of multisport, too. I'll post activities here on MB, too.
2012.... it may be ugly, but at least I'll be racing :-)
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby kkillgore » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Pick a race and commit to it! You will be amazed at how easy it is not to do a race unless you sign up. I would recommend the Route 66 Sprint or the Lake Arcadia sprint in August. There are also many sprint triathlons that start in a pool if that make you more comfortable. Sign up to have fun and then you will get hooked!
Kristin Killgore

Enjoy the Day!!!
kkillgore
Olympian

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD