Wheel sets

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

Wheel sets

Postby jon c » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:55 am

I am looking at wheels for my Tri Bike and I would like a set that I could ride training as well as racing what made you pick the set you ride I have researched a lot of wheels and just can't decide
jon c

Re: Wheel sets

Postby pculley » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:33 pm

I was in the same boat last year. I decided that if I was going to use my wheels as an every day wheel set, I wanted something that was easy to change a flat (clincher) and had metal rims. I'm pretty happy with my SRAM wheel set. They have been durable and roll pretty well. Not as expensive as the top of the line, but still get a pretty good aero benefit. I initially bought them as an every day wheel set, but I was so happy with them that I only race with them now. Another wheel set I looked into were the HED Jets, for the same reasons as above. Good luck with your decision.
pculley
Age Grouper

Postby jon c » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks, that is the information i am looking for..
jon c

Postby neillharmer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02 pm

I got HED Jet 6's myself, I train on em and ride em. Love em. Also as a bigger guy I got the Stallions and this things have some get up and go!
neillharmer

Postby golfer17 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 am

If you can't afford the newer HED jet 6's or Zipp 404's with the wider braking surface (more aerodynamic), then the Sram S60's (older, but still exceptional semi-toriodal profile) are a great buy. The 80mm wheels are great, but if you race crits or like to do group rides in extremely windy normal OK conditions, they might be a bit much for some people. Make certain to pair a fast tire like one of the Vittoria cottons (Open Evo Corsa) with them.

Also, if you do some road racing, I think Mavic and Reynolds have great crash replacement warranties.

Overall tho, your fastest and cheapest setup is to run a set of wheels for racing and for training. I run an S80 front and disc cover rear with a set of the expensive Vittoria cottons, and then a set of cheap, durable Zaffiros or Gatorskins for my training wheels. Saves quite a bit of money on tires (not to mention wheels since I only had to buy one) with the kind of miles that I ride. But I'm also not nearly as fast in training as in racing.
Journey
golfer17
Sprinter

Postby jon c » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks everyone I am considering the Zipp 404's I am 200lbs and was just wondering about being able to ride them for group and training as well as the occasional race.
jon c

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD