A couple of newb ?'s

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

A couple of newb ?'s

Postby Vash » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:18 pm

1. I heard references to message boards last night that had info on training and gear and stuff. Besides this board of course, what are some other good sources of info regarding training?

2. Is a wetsuit a necessary thing for the Route 66 sprint? As a full-time student I'm on the extreme budget.

3. Aero-bars. They are one of the necessary items...even attached to regular road bike handlebars?

Thanks
Vash

Another thing

Postby Vash » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:20 pm

What about training logs? Do most people using a program or just make an excel sheet or something?
Vash

Postby Tanya » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 pm

1. I like these sites: www.trinewbies.com www.trifuel.com www.beginnertriathlete.com www.slowtwitch.com

2. A wetsuit isn't a necessity, but it may be helpful. I remember the water being cool, but not freezing last year. Post on the board and someone may be willing to loan you one that they're not using that weekend.

3. My aerobars are on my road bike. I don't have a tri bike, so my Giant is adapted for triathlon racing. It works wonderfully! It's a great (read: less expensive) way to do triathlons without buying a tri specific bike.
Tanya
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby buzz » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Vash, Tanya caught most of the websites. There's also some good books, like Swim, Bike, Run by Wes Hobson.
For a 500ms sprint distance, I wouldn't worry about wetsuit. Unless you can strip like a hooker, the time you save with a wetsuit may be lost in transition trying to get out of it.
Aero bars can easily attached to a road bike. You can find low-end Profile Design on eBay for $20.
buzz
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby hhicks » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:53 pm

I wear a wetsuit in open water sprints :D
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
hhicks
Age Grouper

Postby lee » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:21 pm

Unless you can strip like a hooker

pics or it didn't happen.

vash: My favorite books are "Breakthrough Triathlon Training" and "Scientific Training For Triathletes". I've since learned that the former is on shaky scientific ground, but it's prescription is still spot-on. Basically long overdistance workouts - all the swim/bike/run you can handle at easy to moderate paces. The "Scientific Training.." book is necessary if you're going to read forums where all sorts of weird/bad advice is bandied about.

A website not mentioned that I like is http://www.cruciblefitness.com
lee
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby Vash » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:04 am

Vash

Postby Kris K » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:08 am

Vash wrote:What about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Profile-Aero-Bars-T ... dZViewItem

Ending soon!

IMO, they are better than nothing, BUT I would spend a little more and get something you'll be happier with for a bit longer. Most people tend to get sick of the solid, 1-piece aerobars once they get into the sport. I think of all the aerobars, they are the least appealing. May want to be more patient and wait for something else to come along, but ultimately, it's up to you if you want to buy them.
Kris K
Ultra Iron Athlete

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD