SMW Point Series Update 2/19/07

We have simplified the Message Board and cut out all the different TOPICS. This should be easier to track most recent chatter. So feel free to post, ask, and answer on any MULTISPORT topic!!!!!

SMW Point Series Update 2/19/07

Postby Kris K » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:55 pm

Thanks to some very quick work by our officers and directors, we'll have all the necessary paperwork filed with USAT and roster information submitted to SMW Region in time to start earning points in the Club Series this year. Despite such short notice on some issues, I got a lot of help from club members to make sure I had all the necessary info in time. You guys know who you are...thanks ;) Actually, I should mention them by name: Viv, Buzz, Tanya, and Jane.

In case you have forgotten from last year, we earn points from club members that finish any triathlon or duathlon that is USAT-sanctioned and takes place in the SMW Region (TX, OK, AR, LA). Placing counts, but what's real important is our participation numbers. So get out there and participate this year!

Also, we only get points from individuals who are officially paid club members. If you, or someone you know, hasn't paid their dues, get off your butt and pay!! Support the club that puts on all these great races you have available to you. Don't procrastinate.

If you have any questions regarding the SMW Points Series, please direct them to me at karstenkb at sbcglobal dot net (or just click the send e-mail button on our new, kick-A message board!!!).
Kris K
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby phillipv » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:32 pm

Thanks Kris. I will pay dues when I can come up with $12.
phillipv
Iron Athlete

It is steep, isn't it?

Postby Kris K » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:16 pm

Maybe we could put you on a payment plan of $1 per month. You are already two months late with payment. :roll:
Kris K
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby BenH » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:07 pm

Kris,
I did the Texas Motor Speedway duathlon this past weekend. I was busy and didn't get a chance to tell you beforehand. Is it to late?
BenH
Ultra Iron Athlete

Season start

Postby Kris K » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:13 pm

BenH wrote:Kris,
I did the Texas Motor Speedway duathlon this past weekend. I was busy and didn't get a chance to tell you beforehand. Is it to late?

No, actually, it's okay. For some reason, they have decided that the season will not officially start until this weekend. So we didn't get any points for races before that, such as FYF and TX Motor Speedway duathlon. But even if we did, I'd still have plenty of time to get your results and submit them.

No worries...it all worked out. How did the race go?
Kris K
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby BenH » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:44 am

It was okay. It's a great race and I really enjoyed it. I totally did not train with it (busy with my teaching, I'm back in school this semester, wrestling, and family have kept me busy) but I slapped on the HRM and gave it a whirl. I tried to keep my HR around 160 for the first mile but stayed at about 165. Still I was so slow that I was in the back in no time, but didn't sweat it, just tried to keep at my target HR. I brought it up about 10 BPM for the 2nd mile and was suprised when I finished the first 2 miles in under 20 minutes. I thought I'd be slower with not training at all. Pretty quick T1 and then out to victory lane for the 3 loops at 5 miles each. Passed a lot of people there and liked the bike course a lot. Got back to the mount/dismount line and was looking at the guy yelling at me, looked down and was ON TOP of the line. Squeezed the brakes and dismounted over my handle bars when I locked the front wheel up. Just like playing leap frog, I went over the top, held the handle bar with my left hand and reached back and caught my bike with my right hand. It'll looked really cool (or it does when I replay it in my head) but it will never happen again, and I was so totally lucky that I didn't go forward and leave some teeth at TMS. Back out to the 2 mile run and the legs were telling me that I haven't done any brick workouts in months. I told the legs to shut up and just keep jogging. Kept the HR about the same for the 2nd 2 miles (165 for the 1st mile, 175 for the 2nd mile) and was pleased when I finished the event while there were still cyclists out on the course. So, I'm happy that my run paces were slightly better than what I was expecting (9:42 pace for the first 2 miles, 10:32 for the second 2 miles). I'm very heavy right now, so it was just good to get out. Now that my wrestling season is over and off season is beginning I'll be able to devote more time to training. The race was GREAT. The run was on a 1 mile practice track that is on the infield of the TMS. I thought before we might be able to ride on the actual race track. No WAY! Those banks looked like sheer walls they were so steep. The bike course was really nice. Like I said, a 5 mile loop, about 1/2 uphill and about 1/2 downhill. Almost zero traffic. Support was great. Just your usual first class Ironhead race production. I met Clint Bob. I just randomly happened to park by he and another guy from Tulsa, and he asked me if I needed help airing up my disc wheel. I had finally gotten the hose to connect and put air in so I told him no thank you. After the race, but before awards we were talking and he noticed I was from OK by my tag. He introduced himself as Clint and said that they were from Tulsa and was asking me about Tri OKC. He said he knew Norman Bradshear and I said that he's a bad mambie jambie. So, I asked him if he was a member of TAT and he said sort of, so I all start in on this big pitch about "Join "TRI OKC, we're awesome!" We do all sorts of stuff together for advanced people like Justin, you and Phillip and for new people like me. He said he was kind of doing a wait and see thing but was thinking about it. So then we go to the awards ceremony and he's 3rd overall in 1:03, 12 seconds behind 2nd place. They say Clint Bob, and I'm like "Holy Cow, I've just been talking to this big time stud (I see him finish high at everything) and I'M giving HIM the pitch on join Tri OKC. I felt like a total dork, but he was really cool. Anyway, that was it. good time and I'd definately do it again (the race and not the cheesy recruiting effort.) :oops:
BenH
Ultra Iron Athlete

THAT IS GREAT!

Postby Becky » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Great job Ben
Great Race report!
I am the first one in line to learn that new dismount!!! :D
I so would have loved to have seen that!!
Personal Trainer - CPR Instructor - Boot Camp
www.trainerbecky.com
Experience is what you get when you do not get what you want
Becky
Ultra Iron Athlete

Re: THAT IS GREAT!

Postby lee » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:37 am

Becky wrote:Great job Ben
Great Race report!
I am the first one in line to learn that new dismount!!! :D
I so would have loved to have seen that!!

1st tri I ever did - rainy lighthouse '04, I saw a dude hoist a carbon fiber road bike over his head in a display of triumph coming into t2, and proceed to skid about 10 feet on his cleets while using the bike as a cantilever to stay upright. I've never seen a transition that quiet.
lee
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby BenH » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:48 am

The new disc (wheel cover from wheelbuilder.com) was awesome too. Had a little trouble getting it up to pressure (it was hard for me to get the hose hooked up to the stem with the cover on) but I at least look faster.
BenH
Ultra Iron Athlete

YOU STUD!

Postby Becky » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 pm

Ben you are a stud!!!!!
Great job and congrats!!
:lol:
Personal Trainer - CPR Instructor - Boot Camp
www.trainerbecky.com
Experience is what you get when you do not get what you want
Becky
Ultra Iron Athlete

Postby Norman B » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:23 pm

Ben,

Just catching up on the new board. Great race and thanks for the report. I met Clint this past season and yes he is a fast dude.

Norman
Norman B
Age Grouper

Return to THE TRI-OKC MESSAGE BOARD